If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (479) 787-7377

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Electrical Fire Restoration in Bentonville

12/30/2016 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Electrical Fire Restoration in Bentonville Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets in Fire-Damaged Bentonville Home

Electrical Fires account for Six Percent of House Fires

There are a number of causes of house fires, and electrical fires account for six percent of these. The months with the highest rate of electrical fires are December and January, due to the increased use of lights and heating appliances. Most electrical fires begin in the bedroom, but the greatest number of fatalities occur when the fire starts in the family room, living room, or den. Sometimes electrical fires occur because of appliance failures or problems with wiring. However, the majority of electrical fires result from errors by homeowners, such as overloading extension cords and faulty repairs.

No matter the cause of an electrical fire, immediate action will be required to remediate and mitigate further damage from soot, smoke, and water in your Bentonville residence.  Hot smoke can penetrate materials deeply.  All smoke and soot contain corrosive chemicals that can dissolve and etch synthetic building materials or the surfaces of the contents of your home.  The longer smoke or soot remains on the materials, the more damage it will do.  For this, you’ll want to contact a professional fire restoration company,  such as SERVPRO,  with people who have the training, experience, and equipment to properly and quickly restore your home or business. In the meantime, here is additional detail on some common causes of electrical fires, and how to prevent them:

Faulty Appliances and Outlets

Outdated, worn-out appliances, as well as faults in appliance receptacles, cords and switches can cause electrical fires. Do not use an appliance with a worn or frayed cord. Modifications such as removing the grounding prong from a cord so you can use it in a two-prong outlet can cause a fire or increase the risk of electrocution as well.

Light Fixtures

Lamps, light fixtures, and light bulbs are other causes of electrical fires. Installing a bulb with a wattage that exceeds the fixture manufacturer's specifications can lead to over-heating the materials or melting the insulation on the wiring. Check the highest wattage that is specified on any lamp or mounted lighting fixture and do not exceed it.

Extension Cords

Inappropriate use of extension cords is a leading cause of electrical fires.  Extension cords are labeled to state the maximum current flow (in amps) they are designed to carry. Exceeding the amperage rating of the cord can cause it to overheat, and can also damage the appliance(s) connected to it.  Most major household appliances are designed to be plugged directly into the wall outlet, and not into an extension cord.  If you don’t have enough outlets or they are not in the right places, hire a licensed electrician to install additional outlets as needed.

Space Heaters

A lot of people put portable space heaters too near combustible surfaces like beds, curtains, couches, clothing, chairs and carpets. Coil space heaters are even more dangerous since the coils get so hot they can ignite nearby surfaces almost immediately. When a space heater causes a fire in your home, contact our staff at SERVPRO as soon as the fire is extinguished.

Wiring

The electrical systems in older homes are more susceptible to overloading.  If your home is more than 30 years old, it may not have the wiring capacity to safely power the type or increased number of electrical appliances that are common in newer homes, such as like microwave ovens, computers, air conditioning, and other electronics.

 

The professionals at SERVPRO of Benton/Carrol Counties are on call whenever you need them after a fire. The sooner you act, the more damage our technicians can prevent from occurring. By calling us at (479) 787-7377, we will be able to come out to your home fast to assess damages.

Other News

View Recent Posts